Last night, after a hard day of saving the world in our respect parts of the globe, Davie West, Quebec local and I sat down to a nice chat over the wonders of Skype (all interviews should be conducted over Skype). He was very open and honest about his music, his life and his future plans. He literally only decided to pursue rapping as a career in the last 3 years, so it was interesting to hear a relatively new perspective. Over here at HHLAT we always admire hard work, hustle and a desire to follow the carer path you want, not a civilian ending, and Davie is a perfect example of that. If you’re not aware of him then I suggest you read this, and have a listen for yourself. For fans of Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, Jae Apollo and Lupe Fiasco.
1) Standard question that I always have to ask, because everyone always wants to know. Who are you?
I’m a 21-year-old poet/rapper from Quebec City, Canada.
2) To someone that’s not aware of your music, how would you describe yourself and your sound?
Just a young guy trying to make the most of life. Doing my best to learn and evolve as a person every day. I love meeting new people… I actually speak to random people in the street all the time haha. Very outgoing… Ambitious!
It depends. I say the following words in every interview: I never sit down and think about what song I’m going to write. I’m not into coming up with a jam for people who are into specific genres/vibes. When I feel the need to write I do so and what’s supposed to come out does. I’ve written party songs, serious songs with meaning, sad songs… It depends!
3) That’s why I like your music, because it varies. I mean in ‘Much Needed Conversation’ the vibe is pretty heavy, then ‘Last Night’s a straight party song.
Thank you. I actually get pretty emotional when I perform ‘Much Needed Conversation’, live. Brings back not so good memories.
4) In-keeping with the lyric theme of questions, what are your influences when writing?
Just how I’m feeling at any given point in time. Could be absolutely anything. If we’re talking hip-hop artists theres Eminem, Drake, Kendrick Lamar, Biggie…. I also like slower stuff like City & Colour, Bon Iver, Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, Deathcab For Cutie. I like a few bands. I’m really down with acoustic as well. Nico Marchese, a guy from NY, produced a lot for me!
5) Going to back to what you said earlier, it’s interesting that you call yourself a poet as well as a rapper. I’m always intrigued when MCs describe themselves as poets; is poetry something you have a strong background in, or do you find it’s simply synonymous with rapping?
Well, every song I release is a poem at first. I tend to write stuff down and then adapt my art to a beat. Also, I’ve always enjoyed playing with words…That’s pretty much what got me into rapping. I think rap/hip-hop is poetry at first.
I didn’t take it seriously at first, but I’ve always enjoyed making words rhyme and playing with them.
6) So what got you into hip-hop in the first place?
My life. It just happened out of the blue. I woke up one morning and decided to hop on a free beat site and start using my poems as songs. I had never thought of expressing myself in such a way. It started off as a hobby and then grew into a passion. I’ve been listening to hip-hop forever! Always been a big fan of the music and culture. Had never tried making music until like 2-3 years ago though!
7) Before 2/3 years ago you had another life career intended?
Yeah! I used to play high-level basketball for a long while which took up a lot of my time. Before I dropped out to pursue this music dream, I was to enter a ”social work” program. That’s still what I want to do if my music doesn’t work out.
8) Don’t take this the wrong way, but a few of your tracks are a bit more poppy, was this intentional or was it simply the way things come out?
I always try to create a hook or choose a sample that will stick on the listeners head. If it came out poppy, all the better haha.
9) Although I gotta be honest, I wasn’t a huge fan of the bit about hoes in ‘Chillin’. Are you off the mystoginist lines now then I hope?
Yah! I’ve been with a girl for nearly two years (The song ”My New Drug” is for her). I wrote that ‘Chillin’ a couple years ago when I was single, and was on an alcohol diet.
10) So what are your plans for the next couple years then?
I’m working on my new project right now. Gonna be releasing that probably next fall. Just gonna be releasing a lot of music, and try to spread my stuff as much as possible. That’s where travelling comes in. I actually went to LA for a month in January. I plan on hitting places ”close” to home, like Toronto, Boston, New York often for promo… and my next big trip will be next January. Gonna be hitting up London and Paris! Can’t wait.
My new project is a big mix of stories/experiences/emotions. My man Nico Marchese (@NicoMarchese) is going to be producing most of it. I already have like 5 songs written.
11) Last words?
I’d like to thank you guys for taking the time to interview me. I’d also like to thank the people who stay bumping my music and believe in me. Can’t wait to share this new music with you guys. Second single off my new project dropping soon. It’s called ”Mum”.